Google Summer of Code 2021 | Coding Period @ Hydra Ecosystem| Week 1 & 2

Here comes the most interesting part of GSoC, The Coding Period.
After a 20 Days long community boding period I had a good understanding of the credit-risk domain knowledge and I already started working on small POC to have a clear perception of the Expectations & deliverables in the upcoming 10 weeks.

Week 1 ( June 7 — June 14)

We had a Conference call on the 7th of June where we discussed our targets & deliverables for the week.
As I already started working with the POC with the guidance of Open Risk, the tasks that I covered in the POC were :
1) Creating Non-Performing Loan JSON-LD Vocabulary.
2) Adding the NPL Vocab to API Doc context and creating API Doc with the defined classes & properties.

I Created the PR & got it reviewed with the mentors and made the changes that were asked.
After completion of API Doc, I set up the hydrus & tested all the CRUD operations with the POSTMAN.
In this duration, I found two more issues in the hydra-python-core
1) Changing the Default hydra class endpoint to True.
2) Changing the hydra core fetching to the W3C version.

The Issues & PRs I created in the first week :

https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/issues/4
https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/issues/5
https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/hydra-python-core/issues/86
https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/hydra-python-core/issues/74

https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/1
https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/3
https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/hydra-python-core/pull/87
https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/hydra-python-core/pull/89

Week 2 (June 14 — June 21)

After the completion of first week we had a conference call on 15th of June, all the last week deliverables were discussed and pending PRs were merged.

Tasks accomplished in week 2 are :

  1. Updated the README.md with all the details regarding API Doc, classes & properties it contains and how to start the hydrus server.
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/2
  2. Re-structured the creditrisk-poc repository according to the python standards.
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/7
  3. Added Functional tests for the creditrisk API using pytest.
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/issues/9
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/12
  4. Added Collateral class and linked it to Loan class using FORIEGN KEY
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/14
  5. Created Data Generator for Loan, Borrower & Collateral Class.
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/14
  6. Added Functionality Doc for the creditrisk API using POSTMAN.
    https://github.com/HTTP-APIs/creditrisk-poc/pull/8

With all these tasks we accomplished a good state for the simple poc. Next target will be to extend the classes & properties to make more realistic loan portfolio data.

These two weeks were amazing for me, I have learned alots of new things like :
1) Python standards for structuring the repository.
2) Explored more about pytest.
3) learned more about JSON-LD.
4) last but not the least deep dived into the hydrus code base.

I want to thank my mentors Lorenzo M. , Open Risk, Chris Andrew, Priyanshu Nayan, samesh and my colleague Hasan Faraz Khan for the continuous support & guidance.

One of the best parts of development is that,
the more you dive in, the more you get to know that there is a lot to know…

Stay tuned for the upcoming weeks.
Cheers…

Feel free to reach out to me.
https://purvanshsingh.github.io/